Wednesday 5 June 2013

No regrets dumping Poland for Nigeria –Ukah

Out-of-favour Super Eagles defender, Ugochukwu Ukah has said he has no bad feelings he is no longer considered for the national team despite dumping Poland for his fatherland.
The player, who was capped by former Eagles handler, Samson Siasia told Newswatch Sports that though he would have loved to be in the national team set-up, he is feeling no regret opting to feature for Nigeria instead of Poland that also wanted him.
The player recalled that the European country made a strong overture to him in 2007 and he said despite the fact that he had not got any signal from the Nigerian camp back then, he stood his ground to represent his fatherland.
He said he still have the same feelings as when he got the call despite the fact that the new handler of the national team, Stephen Keshi is yet to look in his direction.
“I was approached by Poland to play for the national team in 2007,  but I told them no because I never thought of playing for any other country except Nigeria. Nigeria is my country and no other country means anything to me. I don’t have any regret that after a brief moment in the Nigerian national team, I am no longer called up.  It has been my dream to play for Nigeria.  I have never thought of playing for any other country.  So, when the chance to play for Poland came, it was easy for me to say no,” he said.
The player said he was happy about the successes the Eagles have recorded since he left the team, but he retains a strong hope of making it back into the fold.

“I was happy as a Nigerian that Eagles went ahead to win the Nations Cup because it has been long we won the trophy.  I would have loved to be part of that celebration, but I am looking forward to a chance to return to Eagles and play in competition for the team and celebrate victory,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment